WILDLIFE FIELD ASSISTANT POSITION
The University of Regina is seeking to fill a Wildlife Field Assistant posion based out of Medicine Hat, Alberta, primarily working nights to assist a MSc student with research focused on the Ord’s kangaroo rat. Our study aims to understand the Endangered Ord’s kangaroo rat ecology to assist with the conservaon of the species.
You will meet only kangaroo rat species in Canada and work in some amazing sand dune and nave grassland habitats in southern Alberta and Saskatchewan. The posion involves conducng fieldwork as a group of two or more primarily throughout southeastern Alberta, with some work in southwest Saskatchewan within privately managed ranches and the Canadian Forces Base Suffield Naonal Wildlife Area. Fieldwork involves travelling long distances on highways to remote areas, rural roads, and trails for animal mark-recapture and vegetaon sampling. At least half the fieldwork will be conducted at night, and weather condions can vary. We will frequently encounter various unique grassland species, including prairie ratlesnakes.
ANTICIPATED START AND END (TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT)
May 1, 2024 – August 31, 2024
HOURS OF WORK
Due to animal acvity, intensive, nightly mark-recaptures are based on the new moon schedule and working some weekends will be required (~12 consecuve days). Hours of work will switch to days for vegetaon sampling.
$16-19 hourly pay based on experience.
POSITION REQUIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Possess or working toward an undergraduate degree or diploma involving conservaon, ecology, and environmental studies
- Strong interest and passion in ecology, conservaon, and outdoor fieldwork
- Good communicaon and interpersonal skills
- Ability to hike, work long hours, carry heavy equipment
- An eye for detail, especially for accurate and precise data collecon
- Highly movated and organized
- Willingness to adhere to safety and animal care protocols and procedures
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Knowledge and use of Microso Suite
- Ability to think crically and problem-solve
- Able to work in a variety of weather condions and adapt to bing insects
- Eligible to obtain Reliability Status level personnel screening through the Government of Canada
- Class 5 Driver’s License or equivalent
- Is a Canadian cizen
- Experience working in the grasslands
- Small mammal handling experience
- Vegetaon idenficaon skills
- Familiarity with standard vegetaon sampling methods
- Navigaonal skills to remote areas using Military UTM, topographic maps, compass and GPS
- Experience driving a 4X4 vehicle on grid roads and trails
- Experience with GIS soware
- Data entry experience
- Standard First Aid cerficaon
INCLUDED IN THE POSITION
- $150 per month for groceries
- Living accommodaons if not from Medicine Hat
Please send a cover leter, resume/CV, and contact informaon for two references to Jessie Bainbridge at email@example.com. Even if you do not meet all the asset qualificaons, please apply. Only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted, and references will not be contacted unless you are selected for an interview. Please submit your applicaon as a single PDF atachment and name the email subject tle “Wildlife Field Assistant Posion 2024.” The applicaon deadline is on February 19, 2024, at 23:59 MST.