JOB OFFER: RESEARCH ASSISTANTS ON ARCTIC ECOSYSTEM MONITORING
The Canada Research Chair in Polar & Boreal Ecology is seeking applicants for field assistant positions on an ongoing ecosystem monitoring project on Igloolik Island and/or in Cambridge Bay (Nunavut). This project aims at monitoring populations of nesting birds, lemmings, foxes, and arthropods, as well as plant communities in this High-Arctic region of Canada. In parallel to this ecosystem monitoring, we also investigate the decline in shorebirds populations in the Arctic. Fieldwork will be conducted between June to end of July 2024, and the contract will include tasks in May and likely August in Moncton, New-Brunswick. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are central to our lab work and recruitment process. Salary is proportional to education and experience.
- Monitoring birds’ nests and mammals’ dens
- Lemming monitoring
- Collecting arthropods
- Conducting plant surveys
- Managing samples
Supervision: Nicolas Lecomte (Université de Moncton)
Skills and requirements:
- Wish to pursue with a Honour’s, MSc or PhD project (preferred)
- Fieldwork and camping experience (in remote location would be an asset)
- Team spirit and sense of initiative
- Good physical condition
- Scientific rigour (data collection and sample management)
- Good academic achievement would be an asset
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency in Canada
- At the time of application, be enrolled in full-time studies in biology (or related discipline) in the upcoming winter session and have completed at least 1 semester of the bachelor’s degree
When and how to apply?
You can apply by filling the online application form (https://forms.gle/E8Zo8cLSReBCqPJp6) and by sending the documents described below by email (email@example.com) before October 18, 2023. Only the chosen candidates will be contacted.
The files to submit are the electronic versions of :
- your CV (2 pages maximum)
- your university transcripts (non-official versions are accepted)
- name and contact information for two references
Please use the following format for naming your files: “First Name”_”Last Name”_”CV or Transcript”.