Dr. Anand is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow or Research Associate to join the Global Ecological Change and Sustainability lab at the School of Environmental Sciences, University of Guelph. The candidate will work on Dr. Anand’s project “Modelling and Monitoring Agroecological Mosaic Ecosystems for Optimizing Human-Environment Sustainability.” This project is funded by CFREF Food from Thought.
The candidate will work along the following axes of research:
- Profit mapping and other optimization modelling tools: The candidate will continue a line of work on a) the use of precision agriculture data to identify set-aside lands for biodiversity and b) local optimization methods that identify multiple, alternative landscape patterns that improve biodiversity without reducing land for agricultural activities.
- Incorporated social network and social learning analyses to understand what drives the adoption of sustainable practices by individuals: The candidate will analyze surveys on the implementation of best management practices and the provision of ecosystem services in farms to identify social drivers that guide the adoption of sustainable practices. The candidate will also participate in a collaboration involving social networks and learning with this same objective.
The candidate is expected to:
- Work proactively as an individual and as part of a team;
- Lead the scientific publications that result from their research;
- Contribute to the preparation of grant progress reports and proposals;
- Participate in lab meetings, providing feedback to graduate students in the lab;
- Take part in CFREF Food from Thought meetings and symposia;
- Engage with faculty across campus, farmer groups, and other stakeholders as needed;
- Maintain an open mind to work in an interdisciplinary fashion, merging natural and social sciences to solve complex socio-environmental problems; and,
- Uphold ethical and research standards.
- PhD degree in Environmental Sciences, Geography, Agriculture, or relevant field.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills, including uni- and multivariate statistics. Experience with structural equation modeling or path analysis highly desired.
- Outstanding command of statistical (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS, Python) and Geographic Information Systems software (e.g. ArcMap).
- Track record in quantitative ecology, agroecological systems, environmental monitoring, human-environment modeling, and/or survey design.
Compensation: CAD $50,000/year plus benefits. One-year contract, renewable. Start date: May 2020.
How to apply: Send resume (2 pages max.) and letter of intent indicating relevant experience and interest in the project to Dr. Anand (firstname.lastname@example.org).