The Canadian Institute for Ecology and Evolution (CIEE/ICEE; http://ciee-icee.com/) seeks candidates for the position of Director. Since its inception, CIEE/ICEE has brought together scientists and their diverse partners (industrial, government, non-governmental) to identify and attack important integrative problems in ecology and evolution through synthesis working groups. Recent working groups have addressed critical topics including: optimal design of Canadian protected areas in a changing climate; effects of human disturbance on the structure and function of coastal eelgrass communities, and; evolution of microbial metabolic and genomic diversity at multiple scales. The Institute also sponsors training workshops in conjunction with the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution (CSEE/SCEE; http://csee-scee.ca). CIEE/ICEE is seeking a new Director to build on our history of successful synthetic activities and to provide leadership and strategic direction as CIEE/ICEE continues to grow and mature. The Director is appointed by CIEE/ICEE’s Management Board (3-year, renewable term) and receives a $5,000 yearly allowance. Normally, CIEE/ICEE would relocate to the Director’s home Institution, although the Board is open to exploring other potential models with interested parties (e.g., a distributed Institute where activities are hosted both at and beyond a physical centre). The Director is expected to develop the Institute infrastructure, staff complement, and avenues of fiscal support from the host institution, partnering organizations, and federal funding programs, as appropriate. In the current model, for example, funds were secured by the Director, for an Associate Director to oversee the many day-to day activities of the CIEE/ICEE including assisting with outreach, budgeting, fundraising, and arranging practical aspects of the Institute’s programs such as travel and local housing.
Responsibilities of the Director include:
- Institute Development: The Director proposes and develops new and innovative programs and partnerships that advance the CIEE/ICEE mission. This includes the recruitment and retention of member institutions.
- Programs: The Director issues calls for proposals for CIEE/ICEE programs and, with advice from the Scientific Advisory Group, selects proposals for funding.
- Communications and Outreach: The Director communicates information on CIEE/ICEE programs and accomplishments to relevant administrative officers at member institutions and to a broad community of potential users.
- Fundraising: The Director seeks financial support from governmental granting programs, universities, private donors, and other sources. The Management Board assists with this responsibility.
- Budget: The Director proposes a budget for approval by the Management Board.
The Directorship of CIEE/ICEE is an exciting and unparalleled opportunity to influence the direction of ecological and evolutionary research through the promotion of new syntheses for the benefit of Canadians. To learn more about this opportunity, contact the Chair of the Management Board (Mark Forbes, Dept. Biology, 206 Nesbitt Bldg,, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6). Applications for the directorship will be accepted immediately until the position is filled. Send a letter of interest and a CV to Mark Forbes: firstname.lastname@example.org.