The Forest Research Institute (IRF) at UQAT and the Center for Forest Research (CEF) are hiring a postdoctoral fellow in statistical ecology. This full-time position is divided equally between independent research and statistical consulting activities.
Candidates may propose their own research project based on the analysis of existing datasets, or join one of the following ongoing projects:
- Developing a multi-model framework to forecast the progression of spruce budworm epidemics;
- Spatial analysis of interspecific interactions in research plots covering a series of successional stages in the mixed boreal forest.
In the consulting role, the postdoctoral fellow will support CEF graduate students and researchers on statistical aspects of their project, such as sampling designs, choice of statistical methods and computational tools. The fellow may also prepare and teach short workshops on statistical methods or statistical programming in R.
- Ph.D. in ecology, environmental science or a related field.
- Strong expertise in statistics applied to environmental science research, including sampling design; data processing, analysis and visualization; and R programming.
- Teaching or consulting experience related to statistics, and experience analyzing geospatial data, would be assets.
Note that the instructional language at UQAT is French, and working proficiency in French is required for the consulting role.
Annual salary: 45 000$
Duration: A one year contract, with possibility of renewal, starting in the summer of 2018.
Location: The Forest Research Institute at UQAT (http://www.uqat.ca/recherche/foret/) offers a dynamic and highly collaborative research environment. The UQAT campus is located in the city of Rouyn-Noranda, which offers various cultural events (film, music festivals) and outdoor activities (hiking, canoeing, skiing) contributing to its quality of life.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter describing your research interests and relevant experience related to this position, your curriculum vitae, as well as the contact information for two references, to Philippe Marchand (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin April 30th, 2018 and continue until the position has been filled.